1. Openness by facilitating a candid dialogue with the American people about the role of defense as part of a broad security framework that positions the United States to avoid conflict.
New threats and new fiscal realities mean that the U.S. can no longer take an approach to defense that overlooks the economic, environmental, and social dimensions of security.
Its time for Smart Defense.
Six Principles of Smart Defense
2. Access by creating opportunities so that every sector of the American economy can participate in the nation's defense.
3. Empowerment of entrepreneurs, edgefighters, and individual citizens to create a vital defense ecosystem that is a reflection of the values that matter to the American people.
4. Efficiency or doing more with less by harvesting the best ideas from unexpected sources to create better, cheaper, and faster solutions to the "wicked" problems in security.
5. Insight from the edges of innovation, discovery, and experience to capitalize on the opportunities and challenges of a changing world.
6. Sustainability by optimizing the defense economy to protect and preserve liberty without overwhelming citizens with unnecessary costs.
What is Smart Defense?
Smart Defense is about re-imagining the defense industry to better address the challenges of a changing world.
Smart Defense protects our Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines in harm's way by listening to what they are saying and getting them what they need—when they need it.
Smart Defense makes the most of our national investment—promoting less conflict and more security through transparent and cost effective ways of doing business.
Smart Defense creates a sustainable defense economy that protects and preserves liberty without overwhelming citizens with unnecessary costs.
Smart Defense capitalizes on creativity, ingenuity, and innovation from every sector of the American economy to solve the "wicked" problems that threaten our security.
Smart Defense is a movement of concerned individuals, enterprises and institutions committed to the imperative of improving our approach to national defense to create a more secure world.